Did you know that there are 11 million Canadians living with diabetes or prediabetes? It is a serious metabolic condition defined by the body’s inability to produce, or manage, insulin. If untreated or unmanaged, diabetes can lead to debilitating, and sometimes fatal, complications. Following a nutrient-dense diet centred on whole foods rather than processed products is one the best things anyone can do for their health and wellness – particularly those suffering from types of diabetes or prediabetes.
In honour of World Diabetes Day, we’re uncovering how several products carried in our store can work towards stabilizing your blood glucose levels.
• Using this MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) oil in dressings or smoothies will keep your blood sugar from spiking, and will keep you feeling satiated longer
• Helps increase energy levels without spiking blood glucose levels
• Slows sugar absorption in the bloodstream
• Improves circulation, helping combat the common diabetes side effect of poor circulation/numbness in the legs and feet
2. Cacao butter
• A great fat pressed from the cacao bean; cacao butter can be used in smoothies, coffee or deserts, and will help stabilize blood sugar
• Has a heavenly rich chocolate smell and adds depth anything you add it to
• Raw cacao products are high in magnesium and chromium and can contribute to improved regulation of blood glucose levels
• Looks and tastes similar to white chocolate and can be easily transformed into satisfying treats that help curb sugar cravings
• Artificial, manipulated oils like hydrogenated vegetable oil are unsaturated fats (trans fats), which interfere with the body’s insulin receptors – raw cacao butter is one of many healthier, all natural alternatives
3. Ayurveda herbs
o Comprehensive research has shown the active polyphenol in turmeric (curcumin) has powerful benefits for those with type 2 diabetes; including:
– Reduces liver glucose production
– Stimulates insulin secretion from pancreatic tissues
– Stimulates increased glucose uptake
Real, whole foods from the earth can naturally support the health of those with diabetes and prediabetes. The above are only a few examples of the nutritionally potent superfoods we encourage you to explore! World Diabetes Day is the perfect time to examine your dietary habits for opportunities to accelerate your health and wellness. Even making simple switches like choosing Lakanto organic sweetener over refined sugar, or Bare Organic Mixers instead of conventional sugar-laden mocktail/cocktail mixers, are small but important tweaks you can make to your diet today!